Merkel: failed asylum seekers must be expelled more quickly

Merkel: failed asylum seekers must be expelled more quickly

The shootout occurred just after 3 a.m. local time, according to Italian police. In a solemn tribute to the 12 people killed and 48 injured in Monday evening's mayhem, organizers made a decision to do without party music and bright lighting, and Berliners and visitors laid candles and flowers at the site. Any German accomplices Amri had will be brought to justice, she said.

On Friday, Dr Merkel thanked Italy and wished a speedy recovery to Christian Movio, the Milanese police officer shot in the shoulder during the standoff. No one else was injured.

Minniti added that they wouldn't be giving further details of the operation.

A wanted notice for Anis Amri states that he is considered armed and unsafe, and offers a $150,000 reward for information leading to an arrest (IS).

The mosque was searched by police on Thursday but the manhunt for prime suspect Anis Amri continues.

The Italian government announced earlier Friday that Amri was shot and killed by police during a routine patrol in Milan.

Bucs-Cowboys Game Draws Massive Ratings
Dallas will go as far as Dak Prescott takes them. "But given the need for (Romo), we want him ready on the spur of the moment". And he has a team with a shaky defense sitting there at 9-5 and in first place. "We're not really trying to look forward".

"We will now urgently review to what extent the measures taken by the state need to be changed", Merkel said in a statement to reporters in Berlin.

He acknowledged that identification is a complicated process and said authorities did not know whether foreigners were among the dozen victims who lost their lives in the attack.

Amri, who came to Europe from Tunisia in 2011, spent four years in prison in Italy, among other things for arson.

He's believed to have radicalised while behind bars, an all-too-familiar path for many jihadists. He had been under police surveillance between March and September of this year.

His asylum application was denied six months ago, but he was not sent back to Tunisia because of problems with his documents. Authorities had tried to deport him, but were unable to do so because Tunisia refused to recognise him as a citizen.

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann told German radio on Wednesday that there was a higher risk of Islamist attacks because of the influx of migrants.