Minneapolis police chief: Woman shot by officer 'didn't have to die'

Minneapolis police chief: Woman shot by officer 'didn't have to die'

She added: "This did not have to happen".

After the shooting, the officers provided medical aid until paramedics arrived, but Damond died at the scene of a gunshot wound to the abdomen, authorities said. Mayor Betsy Hodges recognized him in a Facebook post a year ago, noting that his arrival in the 5th Precinct was celebrated.

Harteau also said the department has been looking at strengthening its body camera policy to make sure they record critical incidents, such as Damond's shooting, while also reviewing training practices. They ask for time to grieve in private.

She called around 11:27 p.m.to report what she believed was a sexual assault occurring in the alley between Washburn and Xerxes avenues just south of 50th Street.

Chief Janeé Harteau made her first comments on the case late Thursday afternoon after returning from a backpacking vacation. Neither that officer nor his partner had his body camera turned on, and data show that's often the case in Minneapolis. Hodges posted pictures from a community event to welcome Noor.

"We have put too much time, money, and effort into them to have them fail us when we needed them most", Hodges wrote of the body cameras.

The body cameras were inactive for both police officers in the patrol vehicle, investigators said.

Mr Noor and his partner Matthew Harrity responded to the calls but Mr Noor shot Ruszczyk, firing across his partner, after he was startled by a loud noise.

"How and why it happened, it's hard to tell", Densley said. If anything changes before we get there just give us a call right back, but officers should be there soon.

Ostapenko into first Wimbledon quarterfinal
Just when the young Croatian, 19, needed to up her game, she began losing the range with her powerful groundstrokes. Instead, it was Muller who was able to enjoy a win that seemed to be slipping away.

The killing of Damond has once again dredged up resentment toward a police department that has been embroiled in controversy in recent years over the actions of its officers.

Harteau faced several questions about her absence in the days following the shooting, which sparked anger and a demand for answers in the city and in Damond's home country.

As the sun began to set, gatherers chanted anti-violence messages, including: "She called 911", "No justice".

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Noor has secured an attorney and has so far refused to speak to investigators about the incident.

At one point, Harrity told investigators he was startled by a loud sound near the patrol vehicle. He said Noor shot her through an open window. Her death was ruled a homicide. Bennett says Damond wasn't a threat to anyone, nor could she have reasonably been perceived as such.

So we are learning more about what happened last weekend when police in Minneapolis shot and killed an Australian woman. As his clients, the Castile family was given $3 million in settlement for Philando Castile's death July 2016.

Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau called Damond's death "unnecessary".

Noor has yet to give a statement on the fatal shooting, and his lawyer has not indicated that he will give a statement.

"On our squad cars you will find the words "To protect with courage and to serve with passion" this did not happen", she said. Once the cops arrived, she approached their auto, and through an open window of the patrol vehicle, an officer fired at her. Damond, 40, was shot in the abdomen and died from the wound.